Recently I got to speak with Steve Cahillane, Manager of Budget and Avis on Martha’s Vineyard. We sat down and talked about everything you need to know about renting a car on Martha’s Vineyard. Steve has been in the automotive industry since the late 80’s, but his family history in the car industry dates back to 1934 when his family opened a gas station, which eventually grew into a large car dealership. Four years ago Steve took over as Manager and hasn’t looked back since.
Here’s the 5 things I learned while speaking with Steve.
- BOOK IN ADVANCE
- To get the best deals possible, book in advance with the local office. Because Martha’s Vineyard businesses have a small window of opportunity, 90-100 days, to make a profit the prices tend to be higher the closer you get to Memorial Day. The best time to book is in the fall when prices are the lowest.
- HOW TO GET THE BEST LAST MINUTE DEAL
- If you didn’t make a reservation, wait until after 3 PM to book your car. According to steve, this is when all the day trippers return their cars for the day. This way you receive a half day rate, and still have plenty of time to make it up to Menemsha for the sunset and lobster rolls on the beach. Remember, planning ahead is best, but if you couldn’t/didn’t make a reservation Go to Budget or Avis and they will work with you to give you the best price available.
- Prices range from roughly $65 -$150 a day depending on the size of the car. Expect to see $65 for a small car, $69-72 for a mid sized car, and $75-80 for a full sized car. Jeeps are the most requested on island and range from $100 a day for a 2 door jeep or $150 a day for a 4 door jeep.
- INQUIRE ABOUT UPGRADES
- Steve advises that if you know you need a specific car for your family, such as a minivan or SUV, book that car. But if you are unsure of what you want, go ahead and book the smaller car, and when you’re at the rental desk, inquire about an upgrade. If you’re in the right place at the right time you could be upgraded to a two door jeep for only a couple of dollars more.
- GROUP DISCOUNTS
- If you’re planning a wedding, family reunion, or any other large party gathering, Steve and his amazing team will work directly with you, whether you need 2-3 cars or 10-20 cars, to provide you with the best discount and service to facilitate the whole group.
To contact the local office Budget office directly, please call 508-693-1911.
Sandpiper Rentals, Inc